The 3 big problems facing businesses that sell expensive & complex products or services...
Problem #1 - Lack of a predictable way to generate new business
A boutique home builder came to us with one main problem - they only had a handful of leads coming in each month.
Barely enough to sustain their business, let alone grow it.
They needed a way to generate a steady, predictable flow of leads to keep their business going.
As we'll learn, they'd tried lots of different things already, and been frustrated by a lack of results in the online lead generation industry.
Nothing had worked consistently to give their sales team good quality leads to follow up and close...
Problem #2 - Lack of differentiation from competitors
They were having trouble setting themselves apart from other boutique home builders.
Without anything really showing they were different, they were often reduced to competing on price.
They were not seen as thought leaders in their industry, but in many ways were another "me too" company.
They needed to find a way to stand out from competitors, show they were different, and stop competing merely on price.
Problem #3 - No process to educate and nurture leads until they’re ready to buy
Someone making a $500,000 purchase will rarely arrive on your website and submit an enquiry.
First they'll do some background research. They'll see what you have to offer. They are not ready to talk to a salesperson.
Yet most companies in this industry (this client included) only have a contact form as the way for a person to interact with their business.
As a result, this builder's sales team was wasting time following up bad leads.
The sales process was clunky. A lead would come in and a sales rep would send out the company brochure manually.
Then the lead would be left to figure things out for themselves, coming back to the sales rep with any questions they had.
Because of the long sales cycle in buying a home, it would often take 6-12 months for the person to be ready to make a decision.
(A lot of times leads would gravitate across to a competitor who was educating people about their common questions and concerns).
The only contact the customer had from the home builder during this time were the infrequent check ins from the sales rep. The rep didn't have a lot of value to add other than saying "have you made a decision yet?".
The result of this problem was a low win-rate of deals with time wasted on manual work in following up.
This boutique home builder also struggled with:
- Flying blind with their marketing efforts - they simply didn't know what to spend time and money on because they had no way of knowing was working and what wasn't. There was a lack of clarity around what was producing a return vs what was a waste of time and money.
- Trying to get their different sales and marketing systems (website, CRM, email tool, etc) talking to each other - they were trying to manage 5+ complicated sales and marketing tools, all while trying to run their core business and deliver value to their customers at the same time.
- Lack of internal marketing resources and knowledge to know what to do, or to implement a plan - as a small business, this home builder did not have a dedicated marketing team needed to create and implement an overarching strategy.
A traditional family business, this home builder had experienced "one disappointment after another" when trusting external provides with their marketing, and were ready to try something new.
They approached us after a public speaking engagement at a marketing event and asked for help.
Even though we mainly worked with B2B companies, this builder believed that our inbound & content marketing approach could work well for their business model because they were selling a high-end product with a long sales cycle.
We agreed to work with them and immediately got to work implementing a content marketing game plan.
FIRST STEP - Building the Platform
The first thing we did was to set up HubSpot's all-in-one sales and marketing software for this boutique home builder. This would allow us to carry out the plan effectively, replace all the tools they were using unsuccessfully, and provide several other benefits:
- A way to have all marketing activity in one place, including email marketing, lead gen landing pages, ads management, social media, analytics, and more.
- A single source of truth when it came to tracking and reporting results. We could see the entire customer journey in one place.
- Automation tools that would free up sales reps' time and nurture leads with effective content on autopilot.
- "Closed loop" combined marketing and sales reporting so the company could see marketing activity along with sales activity in the CRM.
We also worked closely with the home builder's team to understand their needs and challenges, and to train them in getting the most from their new all in one sales and marketing platform.
Requirements for this step: HubSpot Marketing Pro software license
SECOND STEP - Creating the strategy and getting to work
We created a plan for this home building company that would use inbound and content marketing to achieve several goals:
- Increase organic rankings by publishing content that answered their customers' biggest questions.
- Set them apart from their competitors by growing their brand and establishing them as the "go to" expert in their industry.
- Provide their sales team with resources to share with prospects, giving them something to say other than "just checking in".
- Educate and engage leads about the company's process and excite them by showing them completed projects
The way this looked was a weekly blog article addressing a new topic each week. For example, we'd blog about the differences between the way this home builder approaches design and what separates them from other builders.
We'd write posts about how much you should expect to pay for a custom designed home, and whether you could get finance on certain types of homes such as kit homes.
At the same time we performed conversion rate optimisation on their website, testing different content offers in different places, and using HubSpot's "Smart CTAs" to show different offers to people from different sources (e.g. email vs social media) based on their customer lifecycle stage.
Image: Our most popular lead gen landing pages generated tens of thousands of leads and hundreds of customers with an average sale price of over $300K.
Requirements for this step: Content strategy roadmap; calls to action; landing pages; blog platform; conversion rate optimisation.
THIRD STEP - Amplifying the content and driving results
We promoted the content we created for this boutique builder using paid and organic strategies, including:
- Paid search - Google ads to attract people actively searching for keywords around custom home building
- Social media - regular posting to social media, as well as paid social to drive traffic to blog posts and content offer landing pages
- SEO - building links to key pieces of content to boost domain authority and rank higher in search engines
- Email marketing - As their email list grew, more and more people came back to the site from our regular email updates
By amplifying the content in this way we ensured that as many people as possible saw the right content at the right time in their journey.
Using clever ad targeting like "Lookalike" audiences and retargeting previous visitors, coupled with compelling and relevant content, we were able to get a low cost per lead from paid search and social.
At the time of writing this case study, this client is generating, on average, 59 leads per day through their website alone, mostly from organic search and social (i.e. free leads now that the system is built and optimised).
Requirements for this step: Google Ads strategy; Facebook page and ad account + strategy; SEO strategy for driving organic traffic.
FOURTH STEP - Making the most of the leads generated
For the leads that we were now capturing, it was important not to leave them hanging indefinitely.
So we created a lead nurture email drip sequence that would take our best content and put it in front of people who had just signed up.
To do this we calculated the average time between someone going from a early stage lead to a customer, and mapped out content across that time period.
If we published a great article 6 months ago, someone finding the site today might never see it. So we used the power of email automation to get these key pieces of content in front of new subscribers at the right time.
The way we did this was to create a 10-part email drip sequence, with each email around 3-6 days apart. This meant that for the first few months after signing up, contacts would get helpful articles educating them about the company's process, industry questions (e.g. finance), and showing completed projects to inspire them.
Every few emails there would be a customer success story, and occasionally an invitation to visit a display home or take a virtual tour, but only after providing lots of helpful information first.
Tip: For email and social media, a good ratio of providing value vs "selling" is around 4:1.
This automated email nurturing achieved three things:
- It educated contacts about the product so they could make an informed buying decision
- It achieved the 10+ touches required to build trust with a customer before they are ready to buy
- It brought contacts back to the website to read the content and engage with product pages once again
After the email drip sequence finished we still needed a way to keep engaging contacts for the 6+ months sales cycle on buying a home.
The way we did this was to send out an email every Saturday morning with that week's blog post.
This would bring literally thousands of people back to the website each week to read the latest article, a percentage of whom would go on to browse product pages on the site and move closer to purchasing.
Requirements for this step: Email copywriting; HubSpot's email marketing tools.
In the words of this home builder's Managing Director, "the results were amazing":
- Website traffic increased from 8K visits per month to more than 25K visits per month
- Email list growth by more than 1000 new contacts each month - many of whom would go on to become sales leads
- Conversion rate on the website of visitors into leads increase by 273%
- More efficient sales team who could now spend more time dealing with inbound leads who are ready to buy and less time "following up"
- An automated lead generation and sales machine that can be scaled up and down at will
All of these changes worked together to increase this home builder's annual revenue year on year.
They went from around $8M turnover in 2015 (the graph says $4.5M because we only started tracking in May), to $26.3M turnover in 2019.
This allowed them to supply hundreds of families with affordable, sustainable homes.
Most importantly, this growth allowed them to provide dozens of new jobs in their local community and contribute to worthwhile community causes.
During this time we worked with this client as if (in the Managing Director's words) we "were part of their team". We were their only marketing resource and continue to work with them closely.
This home builder is now set for their biggest year ever, with more than $6.8M pipeline revenue generated last month alone:
We help B2C and B2B companies in construction, real estate, and education attract, convert, and close more customers using content and inbound marketing. We only work with a handful of clients at time so that we can give each client the attention needed for results like these. Click the button below to get apply for a free strategy session, and see if we're a fit to help you do the same.
Founder & Lead Strategist
Content Strategy & Copywriting
Google Ads & SEO
SERVICES WE PROVIDE
We provide a range of inbound marketing services for both B2B and B2C companies, including:
- Marketing strategy, training, & consulting
- Content marketing, including content strategy and copywriting for blog posts, emails, and landing pages
- Advertising on Facebook, Google, Instagram, and LinkedIn
- HubSpot marketing & sales software set up and management
- Social media strategy & management of client Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn accounts
If you'd like to see if we can help you achieve results like these, click on the button below, fill out the quick survey to determine if we can help, and if it's a good fit we'll prepare a plan of action and pricing for you.